PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor (or simply PHP) is a server-side scripting language designed for Web development, but also used as a general-purpose programming language. It was originally created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994, the PHP reference implementation is now produced by The PHP Group. PHP originally stood for Personal Home Page, but it now stands for the recursive acronym PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. The PHP Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP) is a programming language that allows web developers to create dynamic content that interacts with databases. PHP is basically used for developing web based software applications.
1) PHP is a recursive acronym for “PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor”.
2) PHP is a server side scripting language that is embedded in HTML. It is used to manage dynamic content, databases, session tracking, even build entire e-commerce sites.
3) It is integrated with a number of popular databases, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, and Microsoft SQL Server.
4) PHP is pleasingly zippy in its execution, especially when compiled as an Apache module on the Unix side. The MySQL server, once started, executes even very complex queries with huge result sets in record-setting time.
5) PHP supports a large number of major protocols such as POP3, IMAP, and LDAP. PHP4 added support for Java and distributed object architectures (COM and CORBA), making n-tier development a possibility for the first time.
6) PHP is forgiving: PHP language tries to be as forgiving as possible.
7) PHP Syntax is C-Like.
USES OF PHP
1) PHP can generate dynamic page content
2) PHP can create, open, read, write, delete, and close files on the server
3) It can encrypt data.
4) PHP can send and receive cookies
5) PHP can add, delete, modify data in your database
6) PHP can be used to control user-access
CHARACTERISTICS OF PHP
1) Flexibility : PHP runs on various platforms (Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, etc.)
2) Efficiency : PHP runs efficiently on the server side.
3) Simplicity : PHP is easy to learn.
4) PHP is free.